Expanded (HAP) Homeowners Assistance Program
If you are a military family and you bought your home prior to July 1,2006 (property must have been under contract prior to this date) or if you are a government employee in the BRAC 05 category and bought your home prior to May 13 2005, you may qualify for the HAP program. Department of Defense (DoD)-Homeowners Assistance Program (HAP).
The Gillies Team has helped many military and government families in the Stafford/Quantico/Northern VA area sell their homes using the HAP program. Our team’s knowledge of the program and contacts inside the HAP offices will make the difference when selling your home. Give us a call and we will be glad to answer any questions you may have about the program. The basic criteria are listed below along with the official HAP website. The program may allow you to avoid short sale, and in some cases can help put more money in your pocket at settlement. If you are not eligible for the HAP program, we can still help. The Gillies Team is very experienced with closing short sales and helping families move on from homes that are under water.
Members of the Armed Forces Permanently Reassigned During the Mortgage Crisis
Military Personnel Only
1. Permanent reassignment to a new duty station or home port outside a 50-mile radius of the member's former duty station or home port.
2. Reassignment ordered between 1 February 2006 and 30 September 2010.
3. Property purchased (or contract to purchase signed) before 1 July 2006.
4. Must have a decline of at least a 10% home value loss from the date of purchase to date of sale.
5. Property was the primary residence of the owner
6. Owner has not previously received these benefit payments.
7. If you are a member of the Armed Forces who is PCSing or has PCSed, download the application packet and complete the application. Carefully read all instructions, and mail your completed application to the USACE district responsible for the area in which your home is located. (Once DoD implementing guidance is received the district will contact you concerning your eligibility and benefits.
The process for BRAC-eligible personnel is slightly different. Contact us for more info.
For more program information go to the HAP Website: http://hap.usace.army.mil/